Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Selfish Generation?

So as many people in my life know, I am doing a year of service this year straight out of college.
Many of the people that I work with are also volunteers from other programs such as Jesuit Volunteer Corps and Vincentian Corps members. This post is not to go into my particular work site details (I'll discuss that in a different blog post) but to discuss a phrase that was brought up during my start of my program. So my program, worksite, guest speakers, and other people have really acknowledge the vow that we take when we do service saying this such as, "wow its great that someone your age is doing this". After hearing that repeatedly a part of me thought, " what does this say about the older generation's perception of my generation?" So I had to think do they think that we are just self absorbed selfish taking machines that could care less about giving service to others? I did feel nice that my service was acknowledged (at the same time I was like ah, no I'm humble lol)  but it also let me know a little bit about how older people may view my generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment