Monday, September 1, 2014

The Truman Show

So recently I watched the Truman show with some of my housemates. Generally I am not into movies but I said, "why not?" and I was glad that I watched it. This movie has so many topics worth discussing with people afterwards. It reminded me of a flashback to my Law and Media class when our whole class was devoted to watching movies and picking at the undertones of things.

Spiritual:
So the adopter says at the end something along the lines of,"I've known you since you were born, I know what's in your best interest"

And as me and my housemate were watching it she said, "Wow, this has a very spiritual undertone behind it!" I was thinking the same thing and responded, "Yea, I know I was thinking of God"
To me, the message that his adopter/creator said sounded very similar to what God is and yet in the end Truman did not chose that reality for him. He wanted to make that choice on his own. Granted of course, he wanted to escape the lies and deceit but I am sure that some people turn away from the idea of God because they thing that the concept is false/intangible.

Having faith isn't easy but this movie made me more understandable as to why people would turn away from the idea of God because yes, it is a big leap of trust and I think the idea of God not something that you can just force someone to accept you have to let them make it on their own.

Corporate Power:
The idea of corporate power for a movie made at this time is So modern. All the loops, rights, and power corporations have nowadays because of our interdependence of them for the economy is unnoticeable. So the idea that a corporation can adopt/own a baby ..well that doesn't sound so bizarre at this time of the world does it? Just look at all the junk that's on tv now and the shows we watch that have people do crazy/unethical things for money. Just saying that we humans aren't as ethical as we think especially in regards to what we show on television or chose to watch.

The concept of reality:
This whole movie just made me think, "our reality is what we think it is until we find out otherwise." It's like when your growing up your reality goes from being just your house then your block then your town then your city and then your country and then the world. Our reality changes as we grow as our brain is able to take more information in and see a bigger picture of things. Truman's awareness is what brought him to see a picture bigger than just his everyday which I think is something that my awareness conscious guru friends would love to discuss haha but anyway it says a lot about what we can realize once we look outside of just our immediate bubble of reality.

If you haven't watched the movie, go watch this will make more sense! I don't even like movies that much and if I recommend it that says a lot :)

No comments:

Post a Comment